Thursday, March 31

on my bedside table...

I apologize for being away for a few days but I have been in Scots Bay, Nova Scotia.  However, I have just returned!  I of course was not literally gone, just heavily immersed in the pages of a delightful book, 'the birth house', which took me away to Eastern Canada in the early 1900's. 


I devoured this book in just a few short days.  It was a wonderful read and I cannot recommend it enough!  It's a 'scrapbook' of a novel, filled with letters, journal entries, and newspaper clippings all told by the narrator, Miss Dora Rare.  I loved so much about this great book, and for me it was one of those novels that leaves me feeling mournful to be finished with it.  It has me wishing that I had gone slow, taken my time with her.  I will miss this book!

And I'm now just about halfway through a second novel called 'Crow Lake' and it too has me buried in its pages.  As it says on the back "...a gorgeous, slow-burning story of family love...".

Any of you happen to have read either of these Canadian books?  Would love to know what you think!




3 comments:

  1. As an avid reader of Canadian Literature, I have devoured both of these books. I loved them both, but I think Crow Lake is one of my all time favourites.

    I've just read Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay about life in the Yukon and that was fabulous.!

    One thing about flying is it gives you time to enjoy a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either Trish but will add them to my book list. I have
    read 'Late Night on Air' and I Loved it...a wonderful portrayal of Canada and the Yukon.
    I've just started 'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verghese, two twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon. Orphaned by their mother's death and their father's disappearance, bound together by a preternatural connection and a shared fascination with medicine, the twins come of age as Ethiopa hovers on the brink of revolution. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I too liked late Nights on Air! Actually think I borrowed that one from you V?

    ReplyDelete

love to read your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...